May 14, 2010

How to Tint Van Windows

Here is what I started with. Some baby shampoo, water, spray bottle, tinting thingy, OLFA knife, blue shop towels, and of course the 20% tint.

I started by mixing 3 tablespoons of baby shampoo with one pint of water. Then I sprayed the exterior of the window and squeegeed it with the tinting thingy. I did this a couple times  to clean the window.
Then I put the tint onto the glass and kept spraying to keep things wet, and then swiped it a few times with the tinting tool to make it stick for the next step.
Next I used the knife and cut around the edge so the tint will fit without any gaps around the edges.
This whole time I keep spraying it and swiping it with the tinting tool to make it stick. After I cut the film I peel the plastic film about halfway off the tint film and reveal the adhesive. I spray the inside of the window and swipe it and repeat till I think it was clean enough.
Then I spray the interior glass again and spray the sticky side of the tint and move it from the outside to the inside.
I then sprayed it some more and swiped it with the non rubber end of the tool with a blue towel over it to absorb the water. I keep wiping till hopefully the bubbles are gone and there's no more moisture.
The whole process was kinda quick so I wasn't able to get pictures. Although it all sounds easy, it's not. I didn't clean the window good enough and I had trouble around the window latch.  So it all needs to come off and I might just pay some one that knows what they are doing to do it before I waste all my tint.
Well, there you go. my craptastic tinting job. I say if you don't know what you're doing, pay some else to fuck it up.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, your job was successful. I tried using one of these DYI tints before but the result was a awful :( The complex glass curvature and heat-shrinking are far too difficult. So I decided to leave the job to the professionals. I asked help from http://www.TintBuyer.com and they provided me quotations, tint law in every state and locate the best professional tint installer near my area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a professional tint off ebay. not the cheap walmart crap. It's a true black guaranteed not to peel, fade, crack or bubble. Seems easy to work with, just didn't turn out like I wanted it to. pictures don't show all the little bubbles.

    ReplyDelete